Saturday, June 2, 2012

Fabiolous Summer Reading

When I was 14, my Aunt Martha bought me a bag of various wrapped gifts. There was a small jewelry box, Asian rings, potpourri, and a Harlequin romance novel. I can't believe mom let me keep the novel, but I read it and then stole a few of my Aunt Virginia's novels too. Then at night I would lie awake and at times cry myself to sleep thinking of stories that I could write about romance and heart ache and happily ever afters.

Then I grew up and experienced real life as we know it. I have never read a romance novel since I was a teenager...well, unless you count Lolita and I don't. I often gleefully take the opportunity to mock and humiliate people who enjoy them. I absolutely loathe Twilight. I tried to watch the movie once: when Edward started sparkling I just couldn't take it anymore.

But I've decided that maybe I am just a tad left of bitter and judgmental and need to branch out and give it a go again.

I needed a little help so I thumbed through Woman's Day hoping they wouldn't push me head over heels into the tackiest smut. I've read that Debbie Macomber is a Christian and writes cook books and Christmas stories about angels so I determined that she is a safe place to start.




I also noticed an advertisement for Susan Wiggs chronicles, so I picked up the summer edition The Summer Hideaway. 


In the mean time, please enjoy my list of romance novels I am not aware of as of yet:

1. The woman in the story is fat and the man is hot.

2. The hero and the heroine are both cheating on their spouses.

3. The beautiful heroine is interested in a heterosexual cross dresser so she can borrow his shoes.

4. The hero is a polygamist. Never mind. We have Sister Wives and that will quite do.

5. The story is about a nun and a priest who fall in love and hold hands in secret.

When I checked out all of my paper backs at the library, did I imagine the librarian disdainfully glancing at me? I wanted to inform her indignantly that the last several books I borrowed were Wuthering Heights and A Tale of Two Cities.

No comments:

Post a Comment