Saturday, August 3, 2013

Must Have Mustard

There is some argument on the internet, but I think it's safe to assume that the most popular National Mustard Day arrives on the first Saturday in August. The National Mustard Museum, located in Middleton, WI (because we all appreciate a dollop with cheese--am I right?) celebrates the canary condiment with free hot dogs, games, and mustard sampling.

I have used mustard in everything from smashed potatoes to macaroni and cheese.  For my Woman's Day recipes, I have used just about every kind of mustard there is: spicy brown, whole-grain, Dijon. I never knew there were so many levels of flavors and varieties of many condiments before I started my Woman's Day journey but as you can see, I've acquired quite a collection. The satisfaction of buying speciality foods and being able to use them with such versatility is a blessing to the palate and the wallet as well.



Since we are almost out of a few varieties, I thought it would be fun to explore my options as I am certain I will be using mustard going forward for many recipes, not to mention for the traditional hot dog, hamburger, and corn dog (or brown hound as you Yankees say).

Terrapin Ridge Farms covers the spectrum from spicy to sweet. Honey, you are no longer the only touch of sugar in mustard: welcome beet. Beets have been sweetening an assortment of dishes and beverages, including wine, and it's no exception in Terrapin Ridge Farm products as they offer Sweet Beet and Horseradish mustard--which is their most unique offering as far as I'm concerned.



However, their other mustard varieties range from Caesar Dijon (Dijon mustard is defined by white wine) to Wasabi Lime. Adding these specialty mustard blends to dips, marinades, or soup would be creative and delicious and just a few ounces should last for a considerable amount of time.

For the more daring, Miller's Hot and Spicy Mustard is made with banana peppers! Here is another product that started in someone's own kitchen, sharing with family and friends just for fun. I love businesses that start with just plain fun and passion and these jars are way affordable and make great gifts for the pepper lover in your life. If you're a friend of mine reading this you know that's me.


For an exotic flare, you might overlook the honey mustard for Vermont's Epicurean Brand of mustard--Maple Country Mustard. I have always been a sucker for maple products because I love autumn and always reminds me of Yankee Candle Company's Maple Pancake candles. Yes--they smell absolutely amazing.





No comments:

Post a Comment