Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Vanilla-Chocolate-Strawberry-Mocha Pound Cake??

When you have ADHD you have to consciously slow down to read. Otherwise, you'll miss a number of things including but not limited to the big picture and important details. It happens to me all the time even though I attempt to slow down when reading (it takes a great deal of effort) and this time it cost me a pretty swirl in my Vanilla-Chocolate Pound Cake. Instead of a tablespoon of boiling water, I got ahead of myself and added a 1/2 cup--the measurement for the batter mix.

Needless to say, the swirl was far less swirly--bordering on non-existent.

Being the optimist that I am, however, I was able to inject my ADHD creativity to introduce a new line of pound cakes that are far more impressive that a simple chocolate/vanilla blend. Albeit some may be less of a contrast, each is guaranteed to be delicious.

Dreamscicle Pound Cake

For this recipe you replace the whole milk with orange flavored milk and substitute the hot chocolate mix for International Coffee's Orange Cafe.


Latin Pound Cake

This recipe calls for Nestle Abuelita Mexican Style coco mix, which you can find in the International section of your grocer. As you may already know, I add a pinch of Ancho chili pepper to my coffee filter each morning along with cinnamon for that extra kick. You may add a bit to this mix to make it bite back. 


Yin Yang Pound Cake

For an darker contrast try a dark chocolate coco powder like Moonstruck Dark Chocolate which uses the Dutch process to enhance the color. They advertise this flavor as "rich and decadent." 

Since I've cut out a lot of sugar from my diet I crave sweets more often and the drive for dessert is far greater than it used to be. So I allow myself dessert but I try to find ways to cut down on the intake of sugar. My greatest affinity is for Gummy Bears, so I bought fruit Popscicles since the candies are full of corn syrup and artificial sweeteners. I prepared a small slice of pounds cake with half a serving of Greek yogurt ice cream and for an added touch I tried new Dole Dippers--frozen strawberries covered in rich, dark chocolate! They come in packs of four and also go well with vanilla Greek yogurt.




No comments:

Post a Comment