Thursday, March 1, 2012

Be Quick to Be Slow

"Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry." James 1:19

In the edition that confronts the different facets of caregiving, I can't think of a more appropriate verse. Most women become a caregiver at some point in their lives for an individual or individuals that fit into one of two categories: child or elderly.

This week I watched a nurse walk our 95-year-old neighbor down the street at 8 a.m. I learned that a coworker is pregnant for the first time. I heard a new friend discuss taking action in defending an elderly acquaintance who was forced from her home.

Every day I help my grandmother with one small task or another and wonder when the bigger tasks will arrive. I am often too quick to snap, raise my voice, roll my eyes. I am proud of the moments I listen and really hear what she is saying. When she admonishes me,"Your dog really needs you to spend more time with her," I know that sometimes she is projecting her own feelings of need on the dog because her pride won't let her say otherwise.

It is the hardest task to be kind to those who may need us most. Without being slow to anger and seeking diligence in listening, the most important people in our lives can suffer. And we suffer too. Guilt is a huge agent in defeat and discouragement.

This month I hope to familiarize myself about what support is available in our area for those either weary from caretaking or people just in need of encouragement and support. I hope the journey will lead me to the smallest and greatest pleasures in life.

I hope you'll join me--my dog needs you.


1 comment: