Sunday, July 1, 2012

When I See You Standing

"Therefore I will praise you, Lord, among the nations; I will sing the praises of your Name." --Psalm 18:49

This scripture is from the mouth of King David--one of the most passionate if not THE most passionate Biblical character. He was full of glory and sin: annointed as a child, he demonstrated faith and boldness early as a teen, defeating Goliath and later on as king--as this passage underscores--escapes assassination time and time again. His knack for lust and pride are also clear. But if a guy ever could repent well, it was 'ol David. And boy, was he prolific. I used to joke to one of my professors that he was our first Biblical examples of bipolar disorder.

David loved the Lord and he was unashamed.

In quiet times, I remember my own anointing as a child and teenager and I wonder what I've lost and what simply needs a recovery. Thinking about the words "praise" and "name" I dusted off an old album I played over and over as a young teen.

I don't think I ever thought about the lyrics:

Every day I hear it evil is abroad
Making even children enemies of God
Yet somehow I always find above the crowd
Other voices pleading, crying truth aloud
And I don't know your name
But I think I see your face

I see you standing in the fire
Standing on the Word 

No comments:

Post a Comment