Monday, November 19, 2012

Pimento Pleasure

I would like to begin this entry by stating that it was destiny for me to name a baby that wasn't my own. It was only a matter of time before a brilliant and perceptive individual would realize my talent for creating and producing idealistic and creative nomenclature before someone took the bait.

That said, there are two conversations I distinctly remember from engaging in discussions with my peers at work: one was about baby names and one involved pimento.

The former occurred a little over a year ago when Amber, Sarah, and I were discussing "what if" scenarios in which we named our babies. I mentioned that, if I gave birth to twin sons, perhaps a both marvelous and miraculous set of names would be Derringer and Dillinger, a nod to the natural and God-given Southern pleasure in owning and brandishing firearms whenever the right or will fancies us.

How would I realize, without my afore mentioned prowess and affinity for naming invisible children, that a year later my coworker would permanently borrow my suggestion in giving birth to her son, Derringer Lee? She is a wise woman, wise indeed, for acknowledging that when this above-average child enters Kindergarten and any otherwise ordinary facility beyond, he would not bear the burden of having his name called only to turn his head alongside three other people who also bear hisa name?

Sarahs know the magnitude of this commonplace label. Wise Sarahs know it and resolve to provide their child with exemptions of such afflictions.

Here is a picture of said child for demonstration of two things: this is not a lie fabricated by yours truly in order to underscore prior assertion and I do hold babies--at least once in their lifetime.


Now onto blog titles.

Pimento for me initiated a question of simple truth: what IS a pimento exactly? Like so many things in life, I took pimento and pimento's name at face value and experience. Pimento conjured images of old people eating sandwiches--very orange sandwiches with a descriptive of cheese, but not the government cheese block I had grown so accustomed to eating. I had never questioned the pimento. However, in the boredom and monotony that is my job, I was forced in one of many food conversations to present the question--what the hell IS a pimento.

Research, my dear friend. It was only to my joy to discover that pimento is actually a pepper of a large, red, heart-shaped variety.

Please enjoy my shameless transition into a warm and fuzzy story that ties in both the food substance, friendship, and love.

November's edition of Woman's Day presented a lovely opportunity to prepare a recipe for warm pimento dip. Littered among the many holiday recipes, I considered that this dip would be a perfect presentation for our team meeting today. It's fairly simple and delicious:

 ingredients




  • 1 package(s) (8-ounce) reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature 
    localoffersIcon
  • 1/2 cup(s) low-fat sour cream 
    localoffersIcon
  • 2 tablespoon(s) fresh lemon juice
  • Kosher salt
  • Pepper
  • 1 jar(s) (6 1/2-ounce) pimientos or roasted red peppers, finely chopped
  • 6 ounce(s) sharp orange Cheddar
  • 6 ounce(s) Pepper Jack cheese
  • 2 scallions, thinly sliced
  • Potato chips, for serving 
    localoffersIcon
  • Pita chips, for serving
  • Celery sticks, for serving

  • directions

    1. Heat oven to 425 degrees F. In a large bowl, whisk together the cream cheese, sour cream, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Fold in the pimientos, Cheddar, Jack cheese, and scallions.
    2. Transfer the mixture to a shallow 2-cup baking dish and bake until bubbling and light golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Serve with chips and celery, if desired.


    I use real lemon juice. The leftover juice is kept in the refrigerator. I bought Stacy's Pita Chips and celery (which is not a worthless vegetable as I have heard in the past--it is high in lutolin, a nutrient high in antioxidants and anti inflammatory properties) to accompany my creation.  


    However, I forgot the serving dish I purchased at The Dollar Store for $2.00. I really need to invest in
    ramekins.

    So today, I had to leave early for a doctor appointment. I wasn't able to attend the team meeting. Bummer. I'd have to take this delicious concoction home with me.


    During lunch, my friend Amber mentioned she had seen my appetizer on Facebook. She asked what it was and if she could taste it. I told her it was pimento dip. She made a face. I told her that when I thought of pimento, I thought of elderly people eating white bread with orange filler. She said she identified with that but she would be willing to try the dip anyway since I had mentioned how delicious it smelled and tasted.

    Upon sampling the dip, she advised me that it would be a tremendous shame if the people on my team didn't have the opportunity to taste it. I shared with her that I didn't know anyone on my team very well and didn't feel comfortable asking any of them to take the time to heat the dip and make the presentation of veggies and pita chips. She said that she would be more than happy to take time off the clock to do it for me if that was all right with me. She then took the time to take a picture with her phone and proudly text me her presentation.

    I started this blog with the desire to make and share food and experiences and to document the undertaking for others.

    These are the moments that cause me to consider the frequency of my blogs. We so often notice the slights and disappointments in life--how often do we stop to recognize and endorse the kindness and selflessness of others? Do we pause to consider how we've touched a life or invested ourselves in others?

    I didn't get to share this recipe at the team meeting in person but in this blog I share life experiences that I cherish in my heart.

    How fitting for a blog about pimentos?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment