Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Cumin-Spiced Steak and REAL Salsa.

Sometimes when coloring by number, you have to go with your artistic flair. In some cases, you may just replace one color with more preferable tone. Other times, half way through, you may decide to dip your brush in and fling it all over the neatly, numerically labeled compartments.

It's the same with recipes. I'll skim them to get an idea of the ingredients and then condescendingly think to myself,"Heavens, who created this recipe and why didn't they consider such an obviously superior options besides (fill in the blank)?"

That happened to me this one time (as in, this evening) as I was preparing cumin-spiced flank steak with grape tomato salsa. Here is how Woman's Day presents it:



Heavens to Betsy, that is not salsa! Those are grilled vegetables. Silly Woman's Day!

So I cooked up the steak (which was really one steak, cut in two) and followed the directions, up until the part where big 'ol grilled vegetables go on the couscous. I threw all the grilled vegetables in a blender with lime, garlic, and a bit of olive oil and WHIR! ZING! Here's your actual salsa:


I get quinoa and couscous mixed up so, until this recipe, I don't think I understood how easy it is to prepare couscous. You essentially just put equal amounts of water in a bowl and wait for it to soften. I love it! Couscous contains a 1% fat-to-calorie ratio.

The salsa made this way leaves extra for snacks later. 


No comments:

Post a Comment