Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Eat Well: Chicky Meat Poof Pie


When I was a kid we called exposed flesh "chicky meat." If you bent over and your shirt came up in the back, that was chicky meat. If you wore short shorts in the summer time and your thighs were exposed, that was chicky meat. Chicky meat was all the rage and you better believe if yours was out, someone was gonna get it. Someone was going to get your chicky meat. 


I sat in the living room with a bowl of hot steamy chicky meat stew, amused that I had brought wine into the house right under grandma's teetotaling nose and she had said nary a word. 

This recipe calls for dry white wine, but I prefer Sweet Sophia wine from Rebec Vineyard because of the herb base and unique flavor. It's also a marvelous way to make stuffing for your bird this Thanksgiving and I find it quite drinkable. 

I think it might get your chicky meat. 

 

 Recipe Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup dry Sweet Sophia wine, Rebec Vineyards
  • 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
  • Kosher salt and pepper
  • 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-in. pieces
  • 2 stalks celery, sliced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 11/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-in. pieces
  • 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 3 Tbsp fresh dill sprigs

What I learned:

You can't find puff pastries at Walmart. I bought the turnover kit sans apple. If you do that you need to fold the squares.

By the way my eggs were past the expiration date. If they float, I'd say toss them, if they sink, they're probably good. My first egg was as floater. I threw it at the neighbor's house. True story.

Who I shared it with:

Grandma, who got mad at me for not sharing it with the dog. 

That dog sure do got a lot of chicky meat...



No comments:

Post a Comment