Friday, November 4, 2011

Now: The Christmas Box(es)

This is another review of a book that will probably incite people to violence against me.

I read "The Christmas Box" this week, a "Top 5 Reads" from Debbie Macomber. It's a best selling book by a Christian man who created the story for his children then stumbled upon a national best seller.





I'm sorry, I know it's a touching and heartfelt story but it reads like the winning short story of a ninth grade High School student. My expectation of a book that sells successfully across the nation is at least an interesting and well written story. It was almost appalling to learn how popular it was years back.

I know, I know--children, the elderly, death, tragedy--I have no right disparaging the book. So be it. You read it for yourself. It will take all of 15 minutes and then you can tell me how terrible I am for writing such a thing.

Nevertheless, I thought the Christmas Box was a good idea very literally--a beautifully crafted container for special ornaments, a Bible, letters from a spouse over seas from years past. I think it would be a lovely idea for a Christmas gift. Here are my top picks:



Heirloom Ornament Box, Etsy, $275




Nativity Box, Woodworkers Fretwork, $29.95




Catholic Christmas Card Holder, Etsy, $45



1 comment:

  1. Although I haven't read the book, I know exactly what you mean. 9 times outta 10 the Oscar for best movie goes to a predictable movie with so so acting. Most best sellers are that way as well and I can only surmise that I am smarter than the average bear and require a little more creativity to be entertained.

    ReplyDelete