Sunday, November 20, 2011

Now: The Good Earth Lends Itself to Asian Day in Lynchburg

I could not bring myself to read Danielle Steele's favorite reads from the standard November version of Woman's Day (there was the standard and Holiday edition) because she mentioned Jane Eyre (I have to be honest--I have no idea what it's about but I think my subconscious has picked up enough to say,"No."), The Bible (I'm fine with the Bible but I can't read the entire thing in a month), and one of Joel Osteen's books (I don't care for him) so I was hoping Debbie Macomber would offer something a little more of interest to a cynical, literary snob such as myself.

I was happier with her picks, which included A Christmas Carol, my second favorite Christmas movie of all time (my first, and favorite movie period, is It's a Wonderful Life), and Christy (do you remember that tv show from back in the day?). I also used to watch Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman which  is kind of embarrassing.

I had never heard of her pick, The Good Earth, so I picked it up at Campbell County Library (they don't have a lot of Woman's Day picks, unfortunately).

I posted my review on Goodreads and I will repeat it here:


I'm sure that others have written an accurate, commending review of this book so I'll just document my reaction to the book.


Around an eighth of the way through I thought to myself,"Man I really like this book."


I would contribute my affinity for the book to my voyeuristic taste (I really enjoyed the movie,"The Death of Mr. Lazarescu") but it's well written, interesting, and it was awarded a Pulizter Prize so I don't really feel like I should have to explain myself or defend myself, especially if the best piece of literature you've read in a long time is The Twilight Saga. 


That said (with sprinkling of elitist garble noted), I was ashamed of myself when I eagerly researched the author only to learn she attended college in the city I was born and raised in (and still live here). 


I watched the movie and it was just wrong. 


I plan to read more about Pearl S. Buck because she seems to be the kind of woman who falls under the category of  personal heroine. It's kind of a shame that Randolph College doesn't have a lot available in her honor and what little it says on the web site is so muddled and overlapping you can't hardly read it. The "Where is Pearl?" program sounds really cool but it's hard to understand how to participate or if it's still something they have kept going.

In honor of this book I would like to discuss what you can do if you would like to read the book and declare an "Asian Day" in Lynchburg. I have categorize suggestions according to cost:

The Chopstick Package (under $20):

You can start your Saturday morning by attending a glorious Tai Chi class at Mind Body Studio. Tai Chi is beneficial on many levels (balance, relaxation, joints and muscles) and the classes are free, with donations welcome. You may also take classes on Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m.

Then mosey on over to King House so that you may ruin your work out with cheap, yet tasty Asian cuisine. There are easily items that range in price from $1-$3 and the portions are large AND they bring it to your table on real plates. You could totally eat well (well...) here for $5.

Then to re-rejuvenate your body. Walk over to the Korean Market and buy a bottle of Aloe Juice. It's like edible lotion for your gizzards.




The Karate Kid Package ($25-$50)

The first thing you want to do is enjoy sushi at King's Island restaurant on Old Forest Road. I recommend the Eastern Roll and the Sake Roll with hot tea.




Then head on over to The Jamerson YMCA where Andy Henson and his staff will set up your 3 free appointments of Shaolin Kempo. I suggest waiting until your fish settles because this routine is no joke and nowhere near the lower impact Tai Chi. This is a workout that could result in any number of bodily functions ranging from sweat to tears (blood is also a distinct possibility when you've become a seasoned veteran) but can result in a long life of health, fitness, and self discipline.

After that, you'll need down time so drive all the way across Lynchburg to enjoy a pedicure at Zen salon. A classic manicure is only $25.

The Jade Pacakge ($60 and up)

My recommendation for lunch on the "and up" package is Thai 99, one of my favorite restaurants. Start off with chicken satay, then progress to any number of dishes, served at your request either, mild, medium, hot, or Thai hot. I suggest having dessert as well, either the Thai custard or fried banana.

Following lunch you can get a shiatsu massage at A Matter of Touch spa. Shiatsu is Japanese for "finger pressure" and it considered a type of alternative medicine.

Another recommendation is acupuncture. Acupuncture originated in China and has been known to help alleviate pain and aid people in quitting smoking. East West Acupuncture boasts testimonials from some of Lynchburg's most tenured doctors and may be a last resort for people with constant pain or other continual issues.

Acupuncture requires more than one visit and can be expensive. This is why it's under the "and up" heading. But you can try it one time and the experience is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment