Wednesday, May 2, 2012

5 Ingredients or Less: Bullseye

My mom used to fix a special breakfast that she called "bullseyes." White bread worked best and, using a cookie cutter, she would make a hole in the center of the bread after buttering both sides. Then, she cracked an egg in the center and let the bread toast and egg cook together to make the bullseye. The she also toasted the circle to absorb the yolk (we are over medium people).It was a fun breakfast for a kid and it's still a fun breakfast for an adult.

Woman's Day calls this breakfast (or brunch) an "egg in the hole." Their version is a bit more healthy but takes just about as much time.

For this scenario I used whole grain wheat bread. If you want to make it interesting, you can use duck eggs which are higher in protein:


I broiled the tomatoes but they were really thick. I bought an organic tomato from Kroger:


Add grated Parmesan (also from Kroger):


This is the lesson I've learned: treat yourself to breakfast. It will make you feel like you've accomplished something already, so early in the day, and in this case, drum up a pleasant childhood memory.


1 comment:

  1. I used to make bullseyes ALL THE TIME! :) It's been years since I had one, but they were one of my favorites. No idea why I haven't had one in so long... thanx for reminding me :) I used to have a specific glass that I used to make the hole. It was the perfect size. Would just turn it upside down and twist it in the middle of the bread. Your tomatoes w/cheese look soooooo good, I think I will try that too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete