Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Book Review--The Condition

The ConditionThe Condition by Jennifer Haigh
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Due to my abundant interest in people and interpersonal relationships, I would recommend this book to someone with the same intense interest.


I appreciate that the title, while obviously a nod to the condition of Turner's Disease, is largely commentary on the condition shared by all--the human condition. While learning about Turner's Disease was an advantage, I more appreciated connecting with this upper class, New England family in their wealth of complications, inadequacies, and the all-too-familiar inability to communicate and express emotions to their detriment.


The ending was a bit off for me--somewhat abrupt, even. I felt something more subtle would have been an more appropriate pinnacle, but realized the point regardless.


Nonetheless, I felt the book was well done. I become more or less empathetic with characters who are evolved so there were points when the book depressed me a bit. I enjoyed taking away what I could in application to my own family estrangements.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment